Yum, this is one of my favorite holiday pie’s. A tart and sweet cranberry pie that is very easy to make (no mixer needed!), but still looks very impressive on the table. I tried Pillbury’s gluten free pastry dough, and it is my favorite gluten free dough so far. It comes in a 15.8 oz tub which is enough for two 9″ pies. I have gotten a lot of questions about the “healthyness” of this dough – let me warn you by saying this is a Pillsbury product and is in no way intended to be a “healthy” option. Although eating gluten free can lead to a very healthy diet, Gluten-free is not synonymous with fat-free…
– Gluten Free Pillsbury Pastry Dough (Half of the 15.8 oz tub will make one 9″ pie)
– 1/2 cup water
– 2 cups cranberry (raw, cut in half)
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 1 heaping tbs tapioca
– Preheat oven to 375
– Roll out parchment paper and sprinkle with GF flour
– Knead dough (1/2 of the 15.8 oz pillsubry tub) in your hands until it becomes a bit less crumbly
– Place ball down on parchment paper and push down into a circle
– Cover with parchment paper and roll out into a wide circle (enough to cover your 9″ pie pan)
– Remove your top piece of parchment and place pie dish face down on dough. Shimmy your hand under the bottom piece of parchment and flip the dough and dish right side up.
– Now comes the annoying part – peel of the parchment paper – some of it will stick and break , that’s okay.
– Use your fingers to reshape the dough into place, and fill in any holes
– Save some dough for lattice – roll out and slice into strips with a sharp knife.
– Mix all ingredients in mixing bowl (the order doesn’t matter, and you can use a spoon or egg beater to mix it all)
– Pour into shell
– Top with criss-crossed dough lattice (if your pieces break, just lay them on the top of the pie so they touch, when the pie bakes they will all stiffen together and look like on piece)
– Bake at 375 for 45 minutes (up to an hour) – until lattice and edges turn light brown
– Let pie cool before serving (serve room temperature)