I’ve been drooling over all the Instagram entries for FamFitFood’s #BurgerChallenge, and decided to come up with an extreme burger of my own. Tuesday’s challenge is “all about the bun”… very fitting for a gluten free recipe, don’t you think? I give you, my sushi inspired “bun-less” burger. It’s a salmon burger topped with spicy mayo, asian slaw, avocado, pickled ginger, and tamari soy sauce. I finished it up by wrapping it all together in two rice paper wraps.
Not going to lie, I completely made this up and did not know if I would be able to post it… but it came out AWESOME! And now I wish I took more pictures…
(makes 2 burgers)
– 1 filet of salmon, minced (I used wild sockeye salmon from whole foods – its much better for you than the farmed salmon!)
– 10 scallions (1/2 a bundle)
– 1 small cucumber, julienned
– 1 large carrot, julienned
– 2 tbs rice vinegar
– 2 egg yolks
– SECRET INGREDIENT: 1/4 cup potato buds
– 1/4 red onion, minced
– Rice wraps (2 per burger.. You can buy this in most asian markets and Whole Foods, its the same stuff that spring rolls are wrapped with)
– 1/2 avocado, sliced thin
– 1 tsp sesame seeds
– Pickled ginger and tamari/gluten free soy sauce (however much you want, on the side)
Mix Salmon, potato buds, scallions, 2 egg yolks and half of your minced red onion together. Form into patties.
Use cooking spray or butter on a hot frying pan to sautee your burger… about 6 minutes on each side with a lid on.
Mix carrots, cucumbers, red onion, scallions and sesame seeds with rice vinegar, let sit for a few minutes while you do the other things.
I mix mayo with Sriracha… so easy! For those with soy allergies – I like canola mayonnaise by Spectrum.
Fill a large dish or pan with warm water. Keeping two wraps together, submerge them in the water and let sit for 30 seconds or until the wrap no longer feels stiff. Remove from the water immediately and let excess water drip off before placing on your dish.
Place cooked burger on rice wrap, top with spicy mayo, slaw, and sliced avocado. To wrap it all up pull one side of you wrap up across the burger, take the newly formed corner and pull that across the top of your burger, repeat until you’re finished.
Mix burger ingredients
Satuee, use a lid!
Nom Nom Nom