Eating candy out of a pillow case in your closet?
Only okay if it’s Halloween candy!
What. A. Great. Holiday.
If you haven’t gathered, I love love love Halloween. More than my birthday. More than Christmas. Mostly because it is the one day (or weekend, or in some cases, week…) where you are not only allowed, but commended for ludicrous wardrobe changes through out the day. But secondly, because it is the one day where you can collect tons of CANDY for free, and proceed to get sick off of it all through November.
Well us Celiacs are allowed to overdose on the sugar too! Below is a list of common candies that are gluten free this October.
Please note that companies are constantly changing their manufacturing processes, and their formulas may change at any time. But all of the items below should be safe for this Halloween; according to the manufacturers the products listed below will indicate the presence of gluten on the label if it is present in the recipe or by cross contamination.
Take extra precaution when reading the labels of the italicized items below. The italicized products from Mars and Hershey’s can vary in cross contamination from shared equipment from factory to factory.
Better safe than sorry: if in doubt about the gluten-free status of a product, contact the manufacturer’s customer service personnel directly.
- 3 Musketeers Bars (all flavors)
- Banana Split
- Butterfinger Bar (original flavor only, NOT giant bar)
- Canada Mint & Wintergreen Lozenges
- Candy Stix
- Clark Bars
- Dove Chocolate products (all flavors)
- Goldenberg’s Vintage Peanut Chews
- Haviland Peppermint & Wintergreen Patties
- Haviland Thin Mints
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar, only in the 1.55 oz. size
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate with Almonds Bar, only in the 1.45 oz. size
- Hershey’s Plain Milk Chocolate Kisses
- Laffy Taffy (including Laffy Taffy Rope and Fruitarts Chews)
- M&M’s (all EXCEPT for pretzel-flavored M&M’s
- Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses
- Mary Janes
- Mike and Ike Berry Blast
- Mike and Ike Hot Tamales
- Mike and Ike Italian Ice
- Mike and Ike Jelly Beans
- Mike and Ike Jolly Joes
- Mike and Ike Lemonade Blends
- Mike and Ike Original Fruits
- Mike and Ike Redrageous
- Mike and Ike Tangy Twister
- Mike and Ike Tropical Typhoon
- Mike and Ike Zours
- Milk Chocolate
- Milky Way Caramel Bar
- Milky Way Midnight Bar
- Mint Julep Chews
- Munch Nut Bar
- Necco Candy Eggs (available at Easter only)
- Necco Wafers
- Nips (including both regular and sugar-free)
- Oh Henry!
- Raisinets (including Cherry, Cranberry and Dark Chocolate flavors)
- Snickers Bars (all flavors)
- Squirrel Nut Caramels
- Squirrel Nut Zippers
- Sweethearts Conversation Hearts (available for Valentine’s Day only)
- Talking Pumpkins (available at Halloween only)
- Wonka Lik-M-Aid Fun Dip
- Wonka Pixy Stix